Happy almost New Year! I hope you survived the holidays and you’re ready to take on a whole new year.
It’s been awhile since I did a more personal post like this one, but I thought it would be fun to wrap up the year with some of my highlights, lessons learned, and goals for the next one. Plus, I have an exciting announcement!
Pardon all the Maui pictures, but Alan and I went there a few weeks ago and it was truly paradise. We’d been many times before, but the last time was nearly two years ago, just after our beloved cat Xena died.
Our new kitties have just turned two years old now and they are kind of okay to be at home with a pet-sitter. They’re pretty high maintenance and this was the longest we’d left them, but they were okay and have forgiven us for leaving them for a week. It was hard to leave them!
I’m so glad we took the time for a vacation because it was relaxing and restorative in just the exact way a tropical vacation is supposed to be.
2018 Highlights & Challenges + Exciting Announcement
No year is ever all good or all bad, and 2018 was no different. I experienced maybe more personal growth than other years, so that was encouraging. Like most people, I also had some set-backs and some things that didn’t go as expected. But, that’s life!
A few of the highlights of 2018 for me included:
- Almost doubling my blog traffic, thanks to video content, better photos, and better search traffic from Google
- Speaking at the Motion Picture Television Fund’s annual women’s conference in Beverly Hills (intimidating! but fun!)
- Attending the GoodFest in downtown Los Angeles and meeting some amazing women
- Getting my migraines under control after giving up caffeine and other common migraines triggers (big thanks to my blogger friend Alicia for recommending this book)
- Passing my 6th year since I was treated for thyroid cancer without any signs of recurrence
- Learning to play the violin! This is something I’ve been wanting to try for years and so I finally found a studio and a teacher. I’m so glad I did, I can’t tell you how challenging AND fun it is to learn how to learn a new musical instrument as an adult
- I got to work with some amazing brands this year that are so aligned with my values that it doesn’t even feel like work, including Vitacost, US Wellness Meats, and Medterra CBD
- I went to a Creator’s Conference at Pinterest HQ in San Francisco and it was a great experience. I learned a ton and met some really interesting, creative people
Some of the big challenges for me this year included:
- Not making much money on my blog after expenses. Next year will be my 10th anniversary of starting my blog, so I need to figure out how to successfully make the move from essentially a hobby to a real business. I had some higher than usual expenses this year, but I also need more revenue-producing activities (see my exciting announcement below)
- My podcast ended up being really expensive and way more stressful than I expected. I’m not giving up on it forever, but it’s on hiatus for the time being
- Two family members were diagnosed with cancer and that was scary. They are both doing well, thankfully
- Politics stressed me out this year. I’m trying to find a better balance between being informed but not overly involved in the day-to-day happenings. This is a tough one because there are some issues that I am so passionate about, but I haven’t found a great way to be an advocate without stressing myself out. I’d love input from anyone whose figured out to find that balance
My Big Exciting Announcement
Okay, so enough blabbing. My big exciting announcement is that I recently signed a contract to write a cookbook! I’m so unbelievably excited! I think it was kind of neat that I signed the contract when we were in Maui. I mean, that has to be a good sign, right?
Expect to hear a lot more about my cookbook soon. I’m hard at work writing it right now. Can I just say that so far, it is a LOT harder than I thought it would be, but that I’m also LOVING the experience?!
Additional Goals for 2019
- Create partnerships and collaborations with other bloggers and influencers whose values overlap with mine
- Become more proficient in the kitchen and try LOTS of new recipes and flavors
- Continue to work at everything I do with authenticity and without fear of doing it my way and in my own time. Trust in my intuition and inner guide and try not to compare myself to others
- Specifically, I want to keep growing my blog and brand and my YouTube channel with amazing content that matches my goal to inspire others to take control over their health through healthy cooking and balanced lifestyle habits
- Keep learning about my health issues and those of others and keep an open mind about new ideas. Experiment and measure the results
Now it’s your turn! Tell me about what you’re planning for 2019, or any highlights for you from 2018. I love hearing from you in the comments or by email.
Happy New Year, friends!!! I wish you health, happiness, and continued success in whatever avenue you choose.
Don’t miss a post! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!