This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Happy almost 2020! It will soon be a new year and a new decade. Even though my blog isn’t a personal journey so much anymore, I always like to pop in a few times a year and share some of what’s really going on behind the scenes.
Here are some of my memorable events from 2019.
- My 2018 Wrap-Up Post had me sharing that I had signed a contract to write a cookbook for 2019. I ended up working with the same publisher to write two cookbooks this year. The first one, The Healthy Meal Prep Instant Pot Cookbook, came out in June and it was an instant hit (no pun intended). I even found it on the shelf of my local Whole Foods Market which was one of the thrills of my life.
- My 2nd book, The Quick & Easy Healthy Cookbook, just came out a few weeks ago. It is an even better book (IMHO) than the first one, so I hope it does as well. Both books were fun to write, but I’m taking a hiatus from book writing for awhile. It is a TON of work.
- Another big event from 2019 was that I got a studio space. After living with photography and video equipment in our medium-sized home for 10 years, my husband and I decided to get more space. Since he works from home as well, we both benefit from the space and we’re loving having a little more separation between work and home.
- My blog is growing and has about double the traffic as last year. This is great, except my site is very much susceptible to changes in the Google algorithm which makes it hard to plan for growth. I continue to invest in SEO and spend about 30% of my time working on the backend of my website to make it more user-friendly.
- Ironically, even with 2 masters degrees and 10 years of experience blogging, I still take home less money than I did before I left working in the “real world”, especially when you consider the cost of healthcare insurance. So, making money as a blogger is a constant challenge for me, especially since I keep my sponsored posts to a minimum.
- On the upside, I love blogging and creating recipes and videos so much and I can’t image doing anything else with my life. Nothing I have ever done has fulfilled me the way blogging does.
- I launched my Sugar Free Challenge along with a companion e-book. I hope that the Challenge becomes a thing and I’m committed to hosting it through next year to see how it grows.
- Alan and I did not travel that much this year except for trips to Seattle in June and Maui in September. My migraines made it difficult to travel, although it seems they are better controlled in the last few weeks since I continue to make dietary changes based on the book Heal Your Headache and input from my functional medicine doctor.
Do you have big plans for 2020? I have some specific ones I’ve set for this coming new year.
- As long as my migraines are controlled, I would like to schedule some trips for pleasure and maybe a work-related conference. I always worry about leaving our cats, but 3-5 day trips seem to be a good amount of time to get away every once in a while. We are thinking about visiting Los Angeles, Phoenix, Seattle, Colorado, or maybe Maui again.
- We live in such a beautiful part of California and I would like to spend more time outside this year, especially hiking.
- My business goals consist of continuing to grow my blog, setting myself up as a formal business, improving my photography and video skills (including artificial lighting), and growing my YouTube channel. I also have a blog re-design coming up in 2020.
New Decade, New Chapter
- This start of a new decade seems to be a good time to set some bigger goals. Mine mostly consist around my business, and specifically include: consistent revenue growth year over year and actually making a decent income consistent with my education and experience, becoming a mentor to help other bloggers in some way, and establishing myself as an influencer who has a positive message of balance, and maybe writing 1-2 more books.
- My personal goals for the new decade include more adventures with my husband, growing my relationship with my niece and nephew, working on finding balance between work and play, becoming proficient with the violin, and continuing on my personal growth journey which includes boundary setting, trauma healing, and better self-care. I am very committed to fostering projects and relationships that bring me joy and contribute to the greater good.
- I would like to say in 10 years that my business is a place where women find inspiration and information for healing from chronic health issues and that I am an authority figure in the industry who sets an example of balance and moderation.
Please share some of your 2019 highlights and what you’re planning for the year(s) to come!
Happy holidays and I wish you the very best for a great start to the New Year.