A vegan BBQ Baked Beans recipe made with healthy ingredients.
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 7 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F and lightly coat a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Chop 1/4 of a large red onion and place in a large bowl with the beans. Stir to combine.
- Combine the vegetable broth, onion (the remaining 1/4), molasses, tomato paste, tamari, garlic, dates, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, cumin and cayenne pepper into a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Stir the sauce into the beans and pour into the baking dish. Bake for one hour or until the mixture is bubbling and the top is lightly browned.
This recipe could also be made in the slow-cooker, just cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.