- 5 medium-sized yams or sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and chopped into 1-inch chunks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee (you can use vegan butter or coconut oil for a dairy-free option)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional, for topping)
- In the base of a 6-quart Instant Pot pressure cooker, combine the chopped yams or sweet potatoes, orange juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir gently to combine.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 6 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid. Add the butter and stir gently to combine. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked yams to a serving dish.
- Top the yams with the mini marshmallows (if using), and serve hot.
- The nutritional information for this recipe does not include any marshmallows.
- The total cooking time includes approximately 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. The total time also includes 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- If you want your yams to be chunkier, you can reduce the cook time to 3 minutes with a 5-minute natural release.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: instant pot yams, candied yams, thanksgiving yams