These Chocolate-Orange Hemp Bites are vegan and paleo-friendly, dairy-free with no added sugars. They can be made quickly for a healthy treat.
This is a post I first shared a few years ago, just after my husband had gotten a bad cold and was finally recovering. Thank goodness we have both avoided the flu so far this year. I hope you and yours are staying healthy.
Sugar is particularly draining on the immune system, but treats were necessary for our emotional health (ha), so I made these easy date-sweetened, raw cookies that have the delicious flavor combination of chocolate and orange, with the optional superfood ingredient of vitamin C powder made from whole foods.
Orangey-ness can also come from using fresh zest:
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
Chocolate-Orange Hemp Bites for a delicious, healthy treat.
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw almonds, preferably soaked, rinsed, and dehydrated*
- ½ cup organic hemp seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic dried coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- 1 scoop vitamin C powder made from whole foods
- 1/8 teaspoon organic orange flavor or zest of one large orange
- ½ teaspoon ground organic Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted organic unsulfured dates
- *Optional first step: place almonds in a glass bowl and cover with filtered water. Soak overnight and rinse thoroughly. Then, place almonds on a flat tray and dehydrate at 115°F for 12-14 hours, or until completely dry.
- Add almonds, hemp seeds, coconut flakes, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vitamin C powder (optional), orange extract or zest, and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor. Turn on high for about 30 seconds.
- Then, with the processor on high, feed the dates one by one into the tube of the food processor, and run for about 2 minutes, or until the ingredients start to form into a ball. Stop and use a spatula to scrape down the sides, if necessary.
- Use your hands to form the dough into 12-15 cookies, and refrigerate them until completely chilled before serving.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 125
Other essential items recommended for this recipe:
READ NEXT: MY FAVORITE HEALTHY PRODUCTS & BOOKS
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!