This creamed kale recipe is a hearty and delicious side dish that is full of nutrition and flavor. This recipe is dairy-free, paleo, and vegan-friendly using canned coconut milk.
- 2 8-ounce bags frozen chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (omit for Whole30, keto, or low-carb diets)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- To prep the frozen chopped kale for this recipe, open the bags and pour the frozen kale into a fine-mesh colander. Then, I rinse the kale under warm running water. Then, transfer the rinsed kale to a nut milk bag or into a clean thin dish towel and squeeze out the water.
- Next, in a large skillet, heat up the oil. Add the onion and let it soften for a few minutes.
- Add the kale, garlic powder, salt, coconut milk, maple syrup, and lemon zest to the skillet. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the lemon juice. Serve warm.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Re-heat before serving.
- Leave out the maple syrup if you are on a Whole30, keto, or low-carb diet.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: vegan creamed kale, healthy kale side dish, coconut milk kale