Crockpot Mexican Chicken and Rice
This healthy and satisfying Crockpot Mexican Chicken and Rice recipe is the perfect make-ahead dish for busy weeknights. Set it early in the day and later enjoy a flavorful, one-pot meal.
Simple and kid-friendly, this crockpot Mexican chicken bowl is a breeze to make. Dump-and-go crockpot recipes are the perfect solution to busy weeknights.
White rice, chicken, black beans, and salsa make a delicious Mexican-inspired dish even the kids will devour. You can simply top it with creamy avocado, or you can add sour cream, more salsa, guacamole, fresh cilantro, and shredded cheese.
You only need 15 minutes and 9 ingredients for this easy Crockpot Mexican Chicken and Rice recipe. It’s similar to a burrito bowl, but easier to make. It tastes delicious on its own or topped with all the extras!
Why You Need This Recipe
- This one-pot meal is one of the easiest things you will ever make.
- Prep for this dish is only 15 minutes.
- It’s made with pantry staples like beans, rice, and chicken. Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if you prefer.
- Double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for up to two months.
White rice – Be sure to buy long grain white rice. Short-grain rice has a high starch content and won’t cook properly in this recipe. Basmati or jasmine are both great options.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – I’ve used lean chicken breasts for this recipe. If you prefer dark meat, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Just be sure to cut them into 1-inch pieces.
Onion – Onions mellow as they cook. Their spicy bite turns sweet and flavorful. You can use white, yellow, sweet, or red onions for this recipe.
Chicken broth – Chicken broth is a one-ingredient wonder. It packs in flavor for stews, soups, and grains. It can be high in sodium which is why I recommend reduced-sodium chicken broth.
Salsa – Purchase your favorite brand of salsa or whatever is on sale. Any brand will do.
Green chiles – If you don’t like any heat, you can omit these.
Black beans – Black beans add complex carbs and more protein. They taste amazing with rice and chicken! You can use pinto beans if you prefer.
Lime – I recommend using a fresh squeezed lime. Limes are affordable and taste much better than juice from the bottle.
Avocado – Look for an avocado that gives when gently pressed. Ripe avocados have a creamy texture and can be easily scooped out of the skin.
In the base of a 5-quart or larger Crockpot, combine the rice, chicken, onion, chicken broth, salsa, green chiles, and black beans.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Stir well to combine everything. Place the lid on the pot and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4 hours on high or until the rice is tender.
Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Use a ladle to pour the dish into individual bowls. Top each serving with a couple of avocado slices.
Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- If you prefer, use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- Double this crockpot recipe for easy lunches all week or freeze for a quick and easy dinner.
- Top reheated leftovers with freshly sliced avocado. This dish is also great served with additional fresh or jarred salsa or Cucumber Pico de Gallo.
- If you aren’t on a dairy-free diet, you can top this dish with shredded cheddar cheese. For vegans, top with vegan shredded cheese.
Yes, you can add all the ingredients at the same time. The rice will absorb all the flavor from the broth while the chicken cooks. The temperature of the crockpot will kill any bacteria and fully cook the chicken.
Yes! I love to double this recipe and freeze half for later. Just wait until the mixture cools and then scoop it into a freezer safe container or zip-top bag. Label with the date and use within 2 months for the best results.
You can serve it as-is or serve it like a burrito bowl with toppings. Diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, corn, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, and salsa all taste delicious!
More Healthy Crockpot Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs with Green Chilis
- Crockpot Coconut Chicken Stew
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Cabbage
- Sweet Potato Coconut Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Quinoa Dinner
- Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken
Or, see my entire index of healthy slow cooker recipes.
Don’t Miss These Easy Chicken Dinners
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 5–ounce can green chiles
- 1 15–ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced (for topping)
- In the base of a 5-quart or larger Crockpot, combine the rice, chicken, onion, chicken broth, salsa, green chiles, and black beans. Stir gently to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4 hours on high or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Use a ladle to pour the dish into individual bowls. Top each serving with a couple of avocado slices.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 2 months.
- You can substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Crockpot slow cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 373
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 734.4 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.9 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 30.7 g
- Cholesterol: 68.9 mg
Keywords: rice in the slow cooker, crockpot chicken dinner, chicken and rice in crockpot