This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This healthy and satisfying Crockpot Mexican Chicken & Rice recipe is the perfect make-ahead dish for busy weeknights. Set it early and later enjoy a flavorful, one-pot meal.
Why is this Chicken and Rice Dish So Great?
- This one-pot meal is one of the easiest things you will ever make.
- Prep for this dish is only 15 minutes.
- You likely have all of the ingredients you need on hand.
- Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken cutlets, if you prefer.
- Double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for up to two months.
Steps to Make this Mexican Chicken Recipe
1. Gather all of your ingredients. You probably have them all on hand already!
2. Stir everything except for the lemon juice and avocado into the bowl of the Crockpot.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours until the rice is tender.
4. Add the lemon juice and ladle into individual bowls.
5. Top with sliced avocado and serve.
Top Tips to Make This Crockpot Chicken Casserole
- If you prefer, use chicken thighs instead of chicken cutlets.
- Double this recipe for easy lunches all week or freeze for an even easier dinner later on.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Top reheated leftovers with freshly sliced avocado.
Other Healthy Crockpot Chicken Recipes You Might Like:
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs with Green Chilis
- Crockpot Coconut Chicken Stew
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Cabbage
- Round-up of Best Whole30 Crockpot Chicken recipes
Or, see my entire index of healthy slow cooker recipes.
Here is the printable Mexican Chicken recipe:Print
This healthy and satisfying Crockpot Mexican Chicken & Rice recipe is the perfect make-ahead dish for busy weeknights. Set it in the early afternoon and then enjoy a flavorful one-pot meal.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 5-ounce can green chiles
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced (for topping)
- In the base of a 5-quart or larger Crockpot, combine the rice, chicken, onion, chicken broth, salsa, green chiles, and black beans. Stir gently to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4-6 hours or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lemon juice. Use a ladle to pour the dish into individual bowls. Top each serving with a couple of avocado slices.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
You can freeze any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 2 months.
You can substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if you prefer.