This super simple Cucumber Pico de Gallo recipe has all the classic ingredients, plus chopped cucumber. It’s a refreshing, healthy, and flavorful Mexican-inspired salsa or side dish.
- 4 Medium-sized ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 English cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- ½ red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (remove the seeds before mincing if you don’t want the salsa to be too spicy)
- ½ bunch of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes at room temperature for the flavors to combine, or cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- If you don’t like cilantro, just leave it out or replace it with flat-leaf parsley.
- If you find that there is a lot of water that has come out from the chopped cucumbers after you refrigerate the mixture, you can just carefully drain off the extra water.
- If you tend to have problems digesting cucumbers, you can try peeling the skins before chopping them. You may also want to try using Persian cucumbers which are also known as “burpless” cucumbers.
- While it’s traditional to serve Pico de Gallo with tortilla chips or on the side of a main dish, you can also serve this salsa on top of cucumber slices for a low-carb option.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: salsa fresca, cucumber salsa