With temperatures steadily soaring and it’s not even yet officially summer, it’s certainly time to go ahead and make a frozen treat to help cool down.
This post features an updated version of my Strawberry & Vanilla Bean “Nice” Cream recipe, but without using soy milk.
Non-dairy, date-sweetened, and delicious, though? Yep, that description still fits with this new Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream with Chocolate Topping (note: all ingredients available through Vitacost.com, one company I work with to develop healthy recipes, in exchange for most of the items listed).Print
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator until chilled thoroughly.
- Combine coconut milk, dates, strawberries, vanilla extract, and the seeds of the vanilla bean in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the base of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
The quick way to describe the chocolatey topping is as a healthy version of Magic Shell, the Frankenfood introduced in the ’80s when I was a kid. What makes this healthy is the swap out of nasty trans fats that were in the original formula with organic, extra-virgin coconut oil, a healthy fat that hardens once it hits the cold ice cream:
- Please coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla and use a whisk to stir together as the coconut oil melts.
- Once the ingredients are combined, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the mixture over your choice of ice cream. The chocolate shell will solidify in a few minutes, or you can place your serving bowls in the freezer for a few minutes to speed the process.
Feel free to Pin!
Other dairy-free, date-sweetened ice cream recipes you might like:
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance!