These Dairy-Free Sugar Cookies have the perfect texture. They are crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. This holiday cookie is a favorite for everyone!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, I like Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup white sugar, plus 1/3 cup (for rolling)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Then, add the butter, egg, and one cup of the white sugar to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine (or use a mixer).
- Place the extra 1/3 cup of sugar on a small plate.
- Then, use your hands to form the dough into 24 balls about 1-inch in diameter. Roll each cookie in the sugar on the plate and flatten them slightly before setting them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until they have started to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Look for vegan or dairy-free butter in the refrigerator section of most grocery stores. You can use the kind that comes in a normal butter shape or the kind in a tub. You’ll need to soften it in the microwave or in a double boiler before using it for the cookies.
- You can prep the dough up to 2 days ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container until you’re ready to bake the cookies.
- This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies. You can double this recipe, if needed.
- You can use coconut sugar instead of white sugar, if you prefer. But, note that the coconut sugar will give the cookies a light brown color.
- If you want to store your cookies, let them cool completely. Then, transfer them to an airtight container. Store them at room temperature for 2 days or up to a week in the refrigerator. You can also freeze these cookies for up to 2 months.
- To adapt this recipe to be suitable for rolling and cutting with cookie cutters: simply reduce the amount of vegan butter to 1/2 cup (instead of 1 cup) and reduce the flour to 2 cups (instead of 2 1/2 cups). Make the dough as directed and then form it into a disc, refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, and then roll out and cut into shapes. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Chill and then decorate as desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free cookies, gluten free dairy free sugar cookies, dairy free holiday cookies