Taco Meatloaf is a Mexican-inspired twist on this classic American dish. Crushed tortilla chips replace breadcrumbs and the meatloaf is topped with salsa and vegan shredded cheese. This delicious recipe is made gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips (from about 2 cups of chips)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (use up to ½ teaspoon for a spicier flavor)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup prepared salsa, divided in half
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (or regular cheddar cheese)
- Preheat your oven to 350° Spray an 8×4-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, tortilla chips, onion, cumin, cayenne pepper, eggs, and ¼ cup of the salsa.
- Use your hands or a spatula to mix together the ingredients. Transfer the mixture to your loaf pan and use a spatula or your hands to spread the mixture into all corners of the pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes. Then, carefully remove it from the oven and spread the remaining ¼ cup of salsa on top.
- Return the meatloaf to the oven to cook for another 35 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads 160°F.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and top it with shredded cheese.
- Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing it and serving it.
- Enjoy warm.
- Use a serrated knife when slicing the meatloaf to help make clean slices.
- If you aren’t dairy-free, you can use regular shredded cheddar cheese.
- You can also make this recipe grain-free and paleo-friendly by using grain-free tortilla chips instead of corn chips. Check the snacks aisle of your local health food store for grain-free chips.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mexican meatloaf, gluten-free meatloaf, dairy-free meatloaf