I think fall might be my favorite season. I love the coolness in the air and the transition to warmer clothes. As a
hermit homebody, I like the shorter days that force me indoors to cook, read books or just cozy up to the fireplace. What I love most of all about fall is the introduction of fall fruits and vegetables.
It is a little early for butternut squash at my farmers’ market, but I bought some at the store that I roasted in a small amount of coconut oil to add into a stew. I used a ton of other veggies including blanched cauliflower:
Chard torn into bits:
And all of these goodies (corn, peppers, onions, garlic and beans):
I layered the vegetables into my biggest pot:
And just added water to cover. Then I simmered it for 20ish minutes and used my hand-immersion blender to make it smooth but still chunky:
It was really warming and nutritious and made about 12 servings, most of which went into the freezer for future meals. You could say I’m stocking up for the winter?Print
Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Stew
Fall-Inspired Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Stew – Serves 10-12
- Yield: 10-12
- Category: Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, cut up and roasted in a small amount of coconut oil at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped and blanched for 3 minutes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head of chard, washed and torn into bits
- corn kernels from 5 ears of corn or about 1 1/2 cups (you can use fresh, canned or frozen)
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups beans
- 6 cups water
- In a large pot, water-saute onion, garlic and peppers for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add chard and sauté until wilted.
- Add beans, squash and cauliflower and cover with water (about 6 cups).
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Use a hand-immersion blender to smoothen texture but keep it chunky.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.