Last Updated on
Here’s a fat-free and vegan Red Lentil Dal recipe that is easy, healthy, and delicious! You’ll love the spicy flavors made plant-based and super nutritious.
Summer is here, but that doesn’t mean we have to stop cooking. I like using the crock-pot when temperatures heat up, because it means I don’t have to heat up my kitchen with the stove or the oven.
And, even though I love my cold salads even more in the summertime, I do like the heartiness of a cooked, nourishing meal for dinner. This Indian-inspired Dal is super easy to make. I do recommend water-sauteing the vegetables before adding them to the pot, but that step could be left out if you were really short on time:
Red lentils look like this:
I like to cook this on low for five hours. You could use a regular pot on the stove if you wanted, it would probably need to simmer for about 30-40 minutes:
Also, just to note, you can adjust the spices according to what you have in your pantry. If you are missing one, just leave it out or add more of another. I do recommend using garam masala or curry, though, that’s what adds the Indian flavor to this recipe.
Here is the recipe:Print
A healthy vegan crockpot dish.
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium tomato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions), chopped
- Chop carrots into 1-inch pieces. Chop onion and tomato. Slice bell peppers. Mince garlic.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of water. Add carrots, onion, tomato, bell peppers, and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Rinse and drain lentils and pick through for any debris.
- Combine carrots, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, lentils, water, cumin, no-salt seasoning, dried oregano, turmeric, ground ginger, garam masala, and cayenne pepper in a slow-cooker. Set to low and cook for on low for at least 5 hours or until lentils are softened.
- Top with chopped green onions. As an option, serve over cooked brown rice or fresh salad greens with a dollop of dairy-free yogurt.
Pin this Fat-Free & Vegan Slow Cooker Red Lentil Dal recipe!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!