In that post, I’m featuring a Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Muffin recipe that is also free of added sugar and fat.
“What?” you’re wondering, “You’re gluten-free?” The answer is yes, for now. I describe my gluten-free experience in my guest post, but the reason is because of the hives and food allergies I developed roughly 3 months ago. I’m doing a lot better now, but I have occasional hives and still have to take a daily, over-the-counter allergy pill.
When I was doing research to figure out what the heck was causing my allergies, I discovered that gluten and grain intolerances are pretty common. At this point, I’ve narrowed it down to the high-histamine foods and some random possibilities like gluten, some nuts and sulfites.
So, for the meantime, I’ll be following a restricted diet. Sure, it’s frustrating to avoid certain foods that I love (chocolate, strawberries, pineapple, etc. are high-histamine foods), but feeling better makes it worthwhile. And, making muffins like the ones pictured above isn’t all that bad. In fact, I really enjoyed them! Here’s the printable recipe:Print
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 10 large pitted dates
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350° F and lightly coat a 12-well muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop walnuts and place in a large bowl. Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, flax meal, and raisins. Stir to blend.
- In a high-speed blender, combine dates, pumpkin puree, vanilla, non-dairy milk, and applesauce. Process on high for 1 minute.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to blend. Distribute mixture evenly among the wells and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden on top. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before gently removing muffins.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.