With the fall season comes everything pumpkin spice flavored! I think you’re going to love this recipe for Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Scones. This dessert has a drizzle of pumpkin spice glaze that is so delicious and perfect for autumn.
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, plus 2 teaspoons for brushing the tops of the scones
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups plus ¼ cup gluten-free flour, divided
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup regular butter or vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl or pitcher, combine ¼ cup of almond milk with the apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside.
- In the base of a food processor fitted with the dough blade, combine the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, sea salt, pumpkin pie spice, and butter.
- Process on high until the butter has broken down and is incorporated with the dry ingredients, about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, pumpkin puree, and the almond milk mixture and process again until the dough is smooth, about 45 seconds.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on your countertop and sprinkle the top with about a tablespoon of flour. Turn the dough out onto the parchment paper and sprinkle the top with another tablespoon of flour.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter and 2 inches in thickness.
- Then, run a sharp knife under hot water and use it to cut the circle in half. Then, cut the half-circle into 4 even wedge shapes and repeat on the other side. You will have 8 dough wedges.
- Use a spatula to transfer the dough wedges to the baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with a little bit of almond milk to help prevent cracking.
- Bake the scones for 18 minutes, or until the tops have started to turn a golden brown.
- While the scones are baking, make the glaze.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and 1 teaspoon of almond milk. Whisk together until the glaze is smooth with no lumps.
- When the scones are done baking, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Drizzle the glaze on top and serve the scones warm or at room temperature.
- Store any leftovers in a zip-top bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost and warm before serving.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter into the flour.
- Use vegan butter to make this recipe dairy-free.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free scones, scones with pumpkin puree, gluten-free dessert using pumpkin