Last Updated on
After going to Miami for BlogHer Food a few weeks ago, Alan and I took a side trip to NYC. BTW, can you tell that I’ve lived in California for most of my life…I assumed that flying from Florida to New York would take, oh, about an hour? WRONG! It took 3 1/2. Hrmph.
Nonetheless, once we got to our destination, we hit the ground running. I wrote last week about some of my tips for staying healthy while traveling, and one of my “must-do” items is to bring along foods for breakfast. I’ve written before about my Chocolate Travel Overnight Oats and today I’m sharing a grain-free version that you don’t even have to soak overnight.
Traveling is expensive and I estimate that preparing breakfast in our room saved us at least several hundred dollars over the course of the time we were gone. Also, I should mention that this recipe doesn’t have to be just for travel, it’s great prepared and eaten at home, too! 🙂
You can see the oh-so-lovely and (expansive…not!) mobile kitchen I set up on our hotel room window ledge including coconut yogurt, almond milk, nut butter, the packets of cereal I brought along, and the bowls and spoons I got from the Whole Foods Market salad bar (unpictured are the berries and banana):
Just how I like it – delicious, nutritious, unadulterated food:
I made sure that we had a mini-fridge in our room where I was able to defrost the berries and store leftover yogurt, milk, and fruit, but you could actually work around that even if you didn’t have a fridge. In that case, you would just buy the single-serving non-dairy milks, yogurt, and fresh berries instead.
Here’s the recipe:Print
A grain-free cereal blend you can take with you on trips.
- ¼ cup raw buckwheat groats that have been soaked, rinsed, and dehydrated
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plant-based protein powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground organic ceylon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground sprouted flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 cup defrosted frozen blueberries
- ½ small, ripe banana
- ½ cup plain coconut yogurt
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ packet Artisana nut butter (I like pecan)
- Place the buckwheat groats, cocoa powder, protein powder cinnamon, flaxseed, and currants into a bowl. Stir in the blueberries, coconut yogurt, and nut butter and serve cold.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 250