This is a healthy sweet treat filled with the bright flavor of lemon. This recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins is paleo and vegan, so it is grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- 2 ½ cups paleo flour or almond flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill paleo flour)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (increase to 1 teaspoon if you use almond flour instead of the paleo flour)
- 2 eggs or the equivalent of egg replacer
- 1 cup applesauce or pureed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one medium lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine paleo flour, poppy seeds, currants, coconut sugar, baking powder, and lemon zest. Use a spatula to mix together.
- Add the eggs or egg replacer, applesauce or pumpkin puree, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Stir together so there are no lumps.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown.
- Remove the muffins to a drying rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.