You’ll love these vegan and healthy Lentil & Walnut Tacos that are perfect for a Meatless Monday dinner.
Hi there! This post is a follow-up to my review and giveaway for Gena Hamshaw’s cookbook, Choosing Raw. As part of the giveaway, I asked which recipe you wanted to see the most out of four options I presented, and the Heat-Free Lentil & Walnut Tacos were the clear winner (I can certainly see why, they look YUM):
Thanks to both Gena and her publisher, here is the printable recipe for your next vegan taco night:Print
To me, this dish embodies flexible, high raw cuisine at its finest. Using romaine leaves as a “taco” and walnut as part of the taco “meat” are standard raw foodie tricks, but the addition of cooked lentils adds extra protein, iron, and healthy complex carbs. This is a stress-free meal, easy to whip up at a moment’s notice if you have some lentils in the freezer, and you can top it however you like!
- Taco Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups raw walnuts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup cooked brown or green lentils
- Serving Ingredients:
- 8 large romaine leaves (cabbage, radicchio, and butter lettuce leaves also work well)
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Place the walnuts and sea salt in a food
- Processor and pulse to break the nuts down until
- Add the tomatoes, spices, and lentils to the processor.
- Pulse until the mixture is well incorporated. Check for
- Seasoning, and add additional salt, cumin, or chili
- As needed. Add a few tablespoons of water, if needed, to
- Bind the mixture together.
- Divide the filling into the romaine leaves. Top each with 2
- Tablespoons of salsa and a few avocado slices. Serve.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 165
And, I’m also sending one lucky winner a copy of the book. The winner as randomly selected from over 300 entries is…Candy R.!
I hope your summer is going well, can you believe that tomorrow is August 1st?
I’m still in the midst of packing up two houses and getting ready for the new one. We haven’t closed escrow on the new place yet, but I was there the other day and snapped a quick pic of the kitchen. May it stay as neat and tidy in the future as it appears right now. 🙂 I’m so excited and grateful that future Carrie on Living recipes will be prepared in this lovely space:
Until next time, happy summering!