Here’s how to make your own sprouted lentil protein powder
- 2 cups dried lentils or mixture of dried peas and lentils (there are sprouting mixes you can buy or you can just use regular dried lentils)
- water, for soaking
- sprouting jar
- Rinse lentils and pick through for any debris. Place lentils in a bowl or sprouting jar and cover with filtered water. Cover loosely and let sit for 8-12 hours. Add more water if necessary to keep the lentils completely submerged.
- After soaking, rinse the lentils with fresh water, discarding the soaking water. Sprout the lentils over the course of 1-2 days, rinsing them every 8-12 hours. They are ready when the sprouts are about 1/2″ long.
- At this point, you can move onto the dehydrating step, or you can cook your sprouted lentils to make them more easily digestible. To cook them, bring about a cup of water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the lentil sprouts and simmer for about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Now, spread the sprouted lentils onto a drying sheet and dehydrate at 115°F for 10-12 hours, or until completely dry. If you bite into one, it should be crunchy and you’ll know it’s dry.
- Place the dried sprouted lentils into a high-speed blender and process finely into a powder. Store tightly sealed in a cool, dry place for up to a week or 10 days.