- 1 pound of fresh spinach or kale (or any leafy green)
- Place the greens in a steamer basket or in a microwavable-safe bowl. Add water. Steam the greens until they are wilted, but still bright green in color.
- Once your greens are lightly steamed, then you can either transfer them to a glass container to cool, or you can move to step three to puree them.
- If you want to puree your greens before you freeze them, then the next step is to add them to the base of a high-speed blender. Pureeing your greens before freezing them is a great way to prepare them to use in smoothie or soups.
- The next step to freezing your spinach is to either pour the puree into ice cube trays. They’ll need about 4-12 hours in the freezer.
- Finally, the very last step is to remove your frozen spinach cubes and transfer them to a zip-top bag for storage in your freezer.
- These frozen cubes will last up to 2 months in the freezer.
- You can use whatever type of leafy green you like for this type of freezing, including spinach, kale, chard, collard greens, or beet greens.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Steamer and Freezer
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: how to make smoothie cubes, steaming and freezing spinach, how to freeze spinach