One of the easiest ways to freeze spinach, kale, or any kind of leafy green is to steam it and freeze it in cubes. You can use the cubes in smoothies, soups, or stew. This easy tutorial shows you how.
- 1 pound of fresh spinach or kale
- Place the greens in a steamer basket or in a microwavable-safe bowl. Add water. Steam the greens until they are wilted, but still bright green in color.
- Once your greens are lightly steamed, then you can either transfer them to a glass container to cool, or you can move to step three to puree them.
- If you want to puree your greens before you freeze them, then the next step is to add them to the base of a high-speed blender. Pureeing your greens before freezing them is a great way to prepare them to use in smoothie or soups.
- The next step to freezing your spinach is to either pour the puree into ice cube trays. They’ll need about 4-12 hours in the freezer.
- Finally, the very last step is to remove your frozen spinach cubes and transfer them to a zip-top bag for storage in your freezer.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Steamer and Freezer
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: how to make smoothie cubes, steaming and freezing spinach, how to freeze spinach