- 2 medium or large zucchini
- Water for blanching the zucchini
- Ice bath
- Wash your zucchini and pat them dry. Cut off the ends and discard.
- Then, use a sharp knife to cut the zucchini into ½-inch slices.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the zucchini slices into the boiling water.
- While the zucchini is cooking, fill a large bowl with ice and water to make an ice bath.
- Let the zucchini cook for two minutes, then turn off the heat. Carefully pour the zucchini into a colander to drain the water.
- Then, transfer the blanched zucchini into the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Grab a baking sheet. Line it with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Drain the zucchini from the ice bath using the colander.
- Lay the zucchini slices on the parchment paper. Freeze for 6-24 hours.
- Then, use your hands or a spatula to transfer the frozen zucchini slices into a zip top bag.
- Store the frozen zucchini in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- To use frozen zucchini in a smoothie, simple remove as many frozen zucchini slices as you want for each smoothie (usually between ¼ to ½ cup of frozen zucchini slices per smoothie).
- Some people like to peel their zucchini before blanching it. This can make the zucchini easier to digest.
- You don’t have to blanch the zucchini before freezing it, but this step helps prevent foodborne illness and can help make zucchini easier to digest.
- You can also use frozen zucchini slices in other recipes such as soups and stews. You don’t have to defrost the frozen zucchini first. Just put the frozen slices into the soup or stew as it is cooking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Smoothies
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: how to freeze zucchini, how to blanch zucchini, zucchini for smoothies