You only need three main ingredients to make a comforting and delicious 3-Ingredient Butternut Squash Soup. This low-fat vegan recipe is perfect for a simple lunch on a cold day. Make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 cups of cubed squash)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. The parchment paper is not required, but makes for easier clean up later. INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS: SEE NOTES.
- Place the peeled and cubed butternut squash on the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake the squash for 40 minutes, or until it starts to brown and soften.
- While the squash is baking, heat the water in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and let it soften for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and transfer it to the stockpot with the onion.
- Add the broth, sea salt, and pepper to the pot, and turn the heat up to high. Let the mixture come to a simmer, and then turn off the heat.
- Use a hand immersion blender to carefully blend the soup to a smooth texture. Alternatively, you can ladle two cups of the hot mixture at a time into a blender and blend on low until smooth. Repeat until the soup is blended.
- Serve hot.
- You can roast the squash up to 3 days before making the soup. Store the roasted squash in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the soup.
- Be very careful if you choose to blend the soup in a blender. Always put a towel over the top of the lid in case some of the hot liquid escapes. Blend on a slow speed to help reduce the chance of splattering.
- You also need to be careful using a hand-immersion blender in hot liquid. Make sure the blade is completely immersed before turning it on. Go slowly and consider wearing an oven mitt in case any of the hot liquid splashes onto your hand.
- Look for prepared reduced-sodium vegetable broth in the soup section of your local grocery store.
- If you want to add more protein to this soup and you aren’t vegetarian, feel free to use reduced-sodium chicken broth instead of vegetable broth.
- If you want to add more flavor to this recipe, you can always add some dried spices such as a teaspoon of dried thyme, ground cinnamon, garlic powder, and/or curry powder.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS: Place the chopped squash in an Instant Pot with the broth and onion. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Use the quick release, remove the lid, and use a hand-immersion blender to blend the soup. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: easy butternut squash soup, roasted butternut squash soup, creamy butternut squash soup