This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is a healthy and delicious recipe made with creamy coconut milk. This dairy-free soup recipe has just five ingredients and is ready in 40 minutes.
- 1 pounds carrots, rinsed and patted dry, and cut into large chunks
- 2 shallots or 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, skin removed and minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 3/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- Combine the carrot chunks, shallots, ginger, and broth in the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 8 minutes at high pressure.
- When the soup is done cooking, let the pressure come down naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Then, carefully remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk.
- Use a hand-immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve the soup hot.
- If you use organic carrots, then you don’t need to peel them.
- For vegan or vegetarian, use reduced-sodium vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- You can always use a 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger if you don’t have fresh ginger on hand.
- If you want even more flavor, add some crumbled, cooked bacon on top of the soup just before serving.
- If you don’t have a hand-immersion blender, you can also transfer the soup to a regular blender. Just be very careful about blending hot liquids (I always put a towel over the top of the blender in case there are any splashes).
- STOVETOP DIRECTIONS: combine the carrots, broth, ginger, and shallot in a stockpot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the carrots are fork-tender, turn off the heat and use a hand-immersion blender to puree the soup. Stir in the coconut milk and serve hot.
- Category: Soup
- Method: pressure cooker, instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot soup with coconut milk, carrot ginger soup