Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This hearty and nourishing Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is so easy to make. This recipe is gluten-free using corn tortillas.
- Author: Carrie Forrest, MPH in Nutrition
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Gluten-free, healthy
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 pieces)
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16-ounce bag of frozen corn kernels
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the tortillas strips on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, tossing once halfway to prevent burning.
- While the tortilla strips are baking, drizzle the olive oil into the Instant Pot bowl and press the Sauté button. Let the oil heat up for about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin, and cook for 3 minutes so the vegetables start to soften.
- Cancel the Sauté function and pour in the broth. Add the chicken, black beans, and corn kernels, but don’t stir.
- Lock on the lid, select the Pressure Cook function, and adjust to high pressure for 10 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is set in the “Sealing” position.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve immediately with the baked tortilla strips on top, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
You can freeze the cooked soup (without the tortilla chips) in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. Add the chips until you are ready to serve.
Keywords: instant pot chicken dinner, instant pot soup, instant pot chicken recipe