Instant Pot Cottage Pie (Gluten-Free)
Use the Instant Pot to make this delicious Cottage Pie recipe, then bake it in the oven when you’re ready to serve. This recipe is gluten-free and grain-free.
Do you know what cottage pie is? I didn’t until I started seeing pictures of it on Facebook. As soon as I realized it was basically a meat and vegetable mixture with mashed potatoes on top, I knew I had to try it for myself!
By the way, you might be thinking that a cottage pie sounds a lot like a shepherd’s pie. They’re very similar. According to my research, a shepherd’s pie is made using ground lamb, while a cottage pie is made using ground beef. Both sound great to me!
Okay, so you can’t make a cottage pie 100% in the Instant Pot. Trust me, I would if I could! But, I used my trusty Instant Pot to make the beef and vegetable mixture, then the mashed potatoes, and then I baked them together in the oven. The Instant Pot prep makes it so much easier to make this dish, though.
I started with the ingredients for the meat and vegetable portion of the cottage pie. I used grass-fed ground beef, butternut squash, and celery. Feel free to add onion and carrots, or whatever you have on hand. To make a large cottage pie that serves 8-10 people, use two pounds of ground beef.
For the mashed potato topping, I used about half of my Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe. So, you’ll need about one pound of potatoes that are mashed for this recipe.
This is such a satisfying, hearty, and healthy dish for cooler evenings. The leftovers are great, too!
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
Instant Pot Cottage Pie (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Use the Instant Pot to make this delicious Cottage Pie recipe, then bake it in the oven when you’re ready to serve. This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: paleo, gluten free, grain free, clean eating
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 12 ounces chopped butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery (from about one large head)
- 2 teaspoons dried herb blend
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 batch Instant Pot mashed potatoes (about 4 cups)
- Plug-in a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot and push the button for sauté.
- Add the avocado oil or olive oil to the stainless steel insert.
- Once the oil has heated, add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat in the pot.
- Cook the meat for about 3-4 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent it from burning.
- Next, add the butternut squash, chopped onion, chopped celery, dried herbs, and water to the meat. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the sauté button and push the button for pressure cook.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 12 minutes on high pressure.
- While the meat and vegetables are cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- After the dish has finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally or use the quick-release.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the casserole dish. Spread a layer of mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake the Cottage Pie for 15-20 minutes in the oven, or until the mashed potatoes are hot.
Keywords: instant pot cottage pie, cottage pie, paleo meat casserole, whole30 casserole