Instant Pot Cottage Pie (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Use the Instant Pot to make this delicious Cottage Pie recipe, then bake it in the oven when you’re ready to serve. This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo.
- Author: Carrie Forrest, MPH in Nutrition
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: paleo, gluten free, grain free, clean eating
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 12 ounces chopped butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery (from about one large head)
- 2 teaspoons dried herb blend
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 batch Instant Pot mashed potatoes (about 4 cups)
- Plug-in a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot and push the button for sauté.
- Add the avocado oil or olive oil to the stainless steel insert.
- Once the oil has heated, add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat in the pot.
- Cook the meat for about 3-4 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent it from burning.
- Next, add the butternut squash, chopped onion, chopped celery, dried herbs, and water to the meat. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the sauté button and push the button for pressure cook.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 12 minutes on high pressure.
- While the meat and vegetables are cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- After the dish has finished cooking, let the pressure come down naturally or use the quick-release.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the casserole dish. Spread a layer of mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake the Cottage Pie for 15-20 minutes in the oven, or until the mashed potatoes are hot.
Keywords: instant pot cottage pie, cottage pie, paleo meat casserole, whole30 casserole