Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes is healthy and easy, and takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish. This gluten-free and dairy-free recipe includes vegan and paleo options. This is a delicious side dish that goes with so many main dish recipes.
I think you’re really going to love this recipe. I make it every holiday season to go with my holiday meal, but I make it a lot just as a weeknight dish, too. The Instant Pot electric pressure cooker makes it so much easier than cooking the sweet potatoes on the stovetop.
The flavor and texture of these Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is really great. While sweet potatoes are naturally sweet already, the addition of just a touch of maple syrup takes them to the next level. And, to make them super silky and creamy, I recommend adding some coconut butter, ghee, or vegan butter too.
I hope you agree that this vegan, gluten-free, and paleo version of sweet potato mash is the perfect side dish.
Why You Need This Recipe
- Sweet potatoes are a healthy food that is budget-friendly and available almost all year round. For people who have nightshade sensitivities, they can usually eat sweet potatoes with no problems as they are not a nightshade.
- Even kids like sweet potatoes because of they are naturally sweet despite their savory flavor. I’ve included sweet potatoes on my list of the best vegetables for picky eaters.
- Sweet potatoes are considered a low histamine food so they can be consumed by people on a low histamine diet. Sweet potatoes can also satisfy sugar cravings if you’re doing a sugar detox or a sugar-free diet.
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and starchy which makes them delicious when mashed. They are one of my favorite gluten-free carbohydrates and are always on my clean eating shopping list.
Maple syrup adds a hint of maple flavor while adding sweetness to the mash. You can also use brown sugar or coconut sugar, if you prefer.
Vegan butter makes the sweet potatoes super creamy without any dairy! You can also use regular butter, ghee, coconut butter, or coconut milk depending on your dietary needs. See my article with tips for starting a gluten-free and dairy-free diet.
Cinnamon adds a sweet spicy flavor that’s reminiscent of fall.
Thyme adds an herbal and earthy flavor that pairs well with the warmth of cinnamon. If you don’t have thyme, you can leave it out or use another dried spice such as oregano or Italian seasoning.
I recommend using about five medium to large sweet potatoes (about two pounds) for this recipe.
It ends up making about 8 servings which is perfect for a group or if you want to meal prep this recipe (see all of my meal prep tips).
Peel and chop the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Add the sweet potato to the inner pot of a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot, along with 1 cup water, plus some salt, ground cinnamon, and dried thyme. If you have fresh thyme on hand, you can use that instead of the dried thyme. You can also add ground black pepper if you like it.
Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients, measurements, and cooking times.
And, if you’re new to pressure cooking, check out my guide for how to use the Instant Pot.
Next, lock on the lid and set the time to 8 minutes at high pressure.
When the cooking time is complete, use the quick pressure release to release the steam (be careful of the hot steam).
Carefully remove the lid and stir in the maple syrup and your fat of choice into the bright orange flesh. For vegan, use coconut butter or vegan butter. For paleo diets, you can use ghee or coconut butter.
You’ll also note that you don’t need to drain the cooking water after the potatoes are cooked. The water helps keep the potatoes nice and moist.
I hope your family agrees that this is the perfect recipe for mashed sweet potatoes! Serve the creamy potatoes as is, or use them as the topping of a shepherd’s pie or for a classic sweet potato casserole.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- You don’t need to use a steamer basket for this recipe since it’s a one pot healthy side dish. You also won’t need to use a hand mixer or immersion blender since the mashed potatoes will be so soft and tender. Just use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- You can also freeze your mashed sweet potatoes after doing the cooking process! Leave out the seasonings and freeze them flat in zip-top bags.
- VEGAN: use coconut butter or vegan butter instead of ghee.
- PALEO or Whole30: use coconut butter or ghee (or check out my recipe for Whole30 Mashed Potatoes). For dairy allergies, use vegan butter or coconut butter.
- Avoiding carbs? Try my recipe for Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash instead!
- Refrigerate any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, see how to freeze sweet potatoes.
- Use your mashed sweet potatoes in a classic sweet potato casserole or as the topping for a savory sweet potato shepherd’s pie. You can also use your leftovers to make Potato Fritters!
Cook them for 8 minutes with one cup of water, do a quick-release, and then mash them with a potato masher. You don’t even need to drain them.
Yes, but you might need to drain off about half the water once the cooking is done.
Yes! You only need about half the water in that case.
No, since this recipe is for mashed potatoes, the water will just get mixed into the final product.
Yes, you can.
More Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
If you like this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash, you might also like these Instant Pot healthy recipes.
- Instant Pot Beets
- Instant Pot Kabocha Squash
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
- Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes
Or, if you want a main dish idea using sweet potatoes, check out this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Sweet Potato Dinner.
Don’t Miss These Instant Pot Round-Ups!
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.
And, consider following me on social media so we can stay connected. I’m on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!Print
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes is healthy and easy, and takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish. This gluten-free and dairy-free recipe includes vegan and paleo options. This is such a delicious side dish that goes with so many main dish recipes.
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 5 large sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, vegan butter, ghee, or coconut butter
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into approximately 1-inch chunks. Place the chunks into the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart pressure cooker.
- Add the salt, thyme, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Pour in the water and lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Set the time to 8 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, use the quick-release to release the pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and stir in the the maple syrup and butter, vegan butter, ghee, or coconut butter to the potatoes.
- Use a spatula or a potato masher to mix together and serve hot.
- VEGAN: use coconut butter instead of ghee. PALEO or Whole30: use coconut butter or ghee. For dairy allergies, use vegan butter or coconut butter.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- The total cooking time includes 10 minutes to come up to pressure, 8 minutes cooking time, and 10 minutes for a natural pressure release.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: sweet potatoes in the instant pot, instant pot sweet potatoes, instant pot sweet potato mash
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.
That’s a very cool twist on classic sweet mashed potatoes. Thyme ! Would never think of adding it !
I have some sweet potatoes waiting on me to make something tasty, and this is ideal!
These sweet potatoes sound so good and cooking them in an Instant Pot looks so easy! I love how you seasoned them too!
We just got an instant pot last month and are slowly testing out new recipes. This sounds like a perfect one to add to the list. I love the addition of a little cinnamon and herbs to add a contrast of flavor.
I love sweet potatoes, but it can be such a hassle to make them mashed. Instant Pot sounds PERFECT for these!
Yum! I love the addition of thyme in this. These looks creamy and wonderful!
These sound like a delicious take on sweet potatoes and seem super easy to make!
I just got my Instant Pot and playing around with different recipes. Will definitely try yours!
Yay, let me know how you like this recipe, Veronika! And, enjoy your new toy!!!
Looks yummy! Sounds great with thyme and cinnamon!
Oh man, I love mashed sweet potatoes so much! The herbs in this sound fabulous! What kind of pressure cooker did you end up with?