Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to cook Instant Pot Kabocha Squash, also known as Japanese Pumpkin. Cook the squash whole and then slice it easily and safely. Serve the squash puree in a variety of ways.
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole Kabocha squash (less than 8 inches in diameter)
- Place the trivet inside the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart pressure cooker. Pour in the water and then place the Kabocha squash on top of the trivet.
- Lock on the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the time to 20 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down for about 5-10 minutes. Then, remove the lid and use tongs to carefully remove the squash from the pot to a cutting board.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half from top to bottom.
- Open the squash and use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds. Use your spoon to scoop out the squash to a serving bowl.
- Serve immediately or store the cooked squash in an bowl with an air-tight lid in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Cooked Kabocha squash can be served in a variety of ways. My favorite way to use it is to mash in a few tablespoons of butter, ghee, or coconut butter, along with some salt and pepper, and serve it as a healthy side dish.
- You can also blend it with broth to make soup, or freeze it into cubes and add it to a smoothie.
- One of my favorite ways to use Kabocha squash puree is to put it in a blender with about 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of broth, and a dash of cinnamon. Blend it and heat it as a super easy and satisfying soup!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: how to cook kabocha squash, pressure cooker kabocha squash, instant pot whole kabocha squash recipe