This gluten-free, vegan cake is made in the Instant Pot!
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup butternut squash puree or pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee or coconut oil (use coconut oil for vegan)
- For the icing:
- 4 ounces almond ricotta cheese, room temperature (I used the Kite Hill brand)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Spray your cake pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Set the trivet into your 8-quart Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water.
- Combine the buckwheat flour and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the butternut squash or pumpkin puree, almond milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and melted ghee or coconut oil.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Use your foil handle to gently lower the cake pan onto the trivet.
- Lock on the lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has completed, let the pressure come down naturally for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, being careful not to drip water onto the top of the cake.
- Let the cake cool.
- In the meantime, make the icing by placing the almond milk ricotta cheese in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and use a small whisk to blend together.
- Once the cake has cooled, pour over the icing and use a spatula to spread it evenly on top of the cake.
- Serve the cake at room temperature (refrigerate any leftovers).