- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound uncooked split green peas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 8–ounce cooked ham steak, diced (be sure your ham is gluten-free if you are on a gluten-free diet)
- Press the Sauté button on a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot. Pour in the oil and let it heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rinsed split peas, broth, thyme, and the bay leaf.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 15 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes.
- Then, use the quick-release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the diced ham steak and let it heat up in the soup for a few minutes.
- Serve the soup hot.
- You do not have to soak green peas before cooking them.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, feel free to stir in an extra cup of warmed broth or water at the end of the cooking process.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, just leave out the ham and add a teaspoon of salt to help replace some of the flavor.
- You can use bacon instead of ham in this recipe. You can either sauté a pound of uncooked bacon with the veggies, or you can stir in cooked and chopped bacon at the end.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: pressure cooker split pea soup, instant pot ham soup