When you want a tender and easy way to cook a roast, try this recipe for Instant Pot Tri Tip. This easy beef dish can be served sliced or shredded. Serve it with your favorite vegetables for a delicious meal.
- 1 2-pound beef tri tip roast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 cup beef broth
- Pat your tri-tip dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Use a spoon to mix the spices together. Then, sprinkle the spices on the top of the tri tip. Use your hands to rub the spices into the meat.
- Press the sauté button on your Instant Pot and add the oil to the pot.
- Let the oil heat up and then use tongs to transfer the tri tip to the pot.
- Let the meat sauté for about 2 minutes, then use your tongs to turn it over. Cook the bottom of the meat for another 2 minutes.
- Then, cancel the sauté function and use your tongs to remove the meat from the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pot (this will prevent you from getting a burn notice from the Instant Pot).
- Pour the broth into the pot and then place the trivet inside the pot.
- Add the meat back on top of the trivet. Lock on the lid and set the time to 25 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, use an oven mitt to use the quick release on the pressure valve.
- Carefully open the lid and use clean tongs to transfer the tri tip to a cutting board.
- Let the meat rest for about 5 minutes before slicing or shredded and serving hot.
- This method results in a meat that is cooked medium through. If you want your meat to be cooked medium-rare instead of medium, reduce the cook time to 20 minutes. If you prefer your meat to be medium-well instead of just medium, then increase the cook time to 30 minutes.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tri tip cooked in pressure cooker, instant pot roast