- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with the juices
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, chopped (for topping)
- Hit the sauté button on a 6-quart Instant Pot. Pour in the oil and let it heat for a few minutes.
- Then, add the onion and garlic and let them cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cancel the sauté button and add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes, carrots, broth, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Then, pour in the can of diced tomatoes on top, but don’t stir.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 6 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Serve hot, with chopped cilantro or parsley on top.
- If you aren’t vegan or on a dairy-free diet, you can replace the coconut milk with heavy cream. You can also use light coconut milk to cut down on the calories, if you prefer.
- Make sure to use fresh lemon juice. The bottled kind isn’t near as bright or lemony in it’s flavor.
- If you would like to add greens to this chickpea stew simply stir in baby spinach once it’s finished cooking while the stew is still hot. The baby spinach will wilt in the hot stew.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: instant pot veggie stew, coconut chickpea stew