Learn how to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash for the easiest and safest way to cook a whole butternut squash. This recipe is healthy and so easy.
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole butternut squash (less than 8 inches in length)
- Place the trivet inside the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart pressure cooker. Pour in the water and then place the butternut squash on top of the trivet.
- Lock on the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the time to 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down for about 5-10 minutes. Then, remove the lid and use tongs to carefully remove the squash from the pot to a cutting board.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to cut off the top and end of the squash. Then, cut the squash in half from the top to the bottom.
- Open the squash and use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds. Use your spoon to scoop out the squash to a serving bowl.
- Serve immediately or store the cooked squash in an bowl with an air-tight lid in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Cooked butternut squash can be served in a variety of ways. My favorite way to use it is to mash in a few tablespoons of butter, ghee, or coconut butter, along with some salt and pepper, and serve it as a healthy side dish. You can also blend it with broth to make soup, or freeze it into cubes and add it to a smoothie.