This Kale Berry Chocolate Smoothie with steamed greens is a sweet and healthy recipe that includes a serving of vegetables! This dairy-free and vegan green smoothie recipe is an energizing way to start the day.
- 1 large bunch of kale (you can use curly kale or lacinato kale)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2 cups jarred or fresh carrot juice
- 1 frozen ripe banana, broken in half
- 2 cups frozen berries (I used a mixture of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 2 scoops unsweetened protein powder (optional, for added nutrition)
- Prep your kale for the smoothie by removing the leaves from the stems. Place the leaves in a salad spinner or in a large bowl of water to rinse the leaves thoroughly. Spin the kale dry or shake the leaves to get rid of excess water.
- Place the kale leaves in a steamer basket or in a microwave-safe bowl. Steam the kale for 3-4 minutes on the stovetop in a steamer basket or for about 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Set the steamed kale aside while you prepare the smoothie. You don’t have to steam the kale, but I find that it make the flavor milder and also makes the smoothie easier to digest. Feel free to leave the kale raw if you prefer.
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec, combine the hemp seeds, carrot juice, frozen banana, frozen berries, cocoa powder, and protein powder.
- Then, use tongs to transfer the steamed kale to the top of the smoothie mixture inside the blender pitcher.
- Lock on the lid and then blend the smoothie for about 60 seconds, or until it is smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate any leftovers for up to 48 hours in a covered container.
- One bunch of kale will yield about 3 cups of kale leaves when the stems are removed.
- You can also use baby kale in this recipe, but you won’t need to steam baby kale as long as regular kale.
- You can also substitute any other type of leafy green in this recipe for the kale including collard greens, bok choy, chard, or spinach.
- Feel free to use your favorite frozen berries in this smoothie. Frozen sweet cherries are also great.
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: kale smoothie, steamed kale in smoothie, steamed greens in smoothie