This Lentil Pasta Salad with Broccoli uses pasta made from lentils. I really love this healthy version of a traditional pasta salad, with crisp, crunchy broccoli to compliment. The dressing is a simply blend of avocado oil and fresh lemon juice. Simple, healthy, and delicious!
Now that I have a gluten-free pasta brand that I’m head over heals in love with, I’m making all kinds of pasta salads this summer. This Lentil Pasta Salad with Broccoli recipe includes the fresh flavors of lemon, avocado, and broccoli florets for a crisp cold salad that can be lunch or dinner.
This recipe also highlights another new-to-me ingredient that I received from my friends over at NOW Foods: avocado oil! The brand is called Ellyndale and it’s a line of organic, non-GMO, natural products.
Avocado oil is great because it can be used for baking and at high temperatures, or used raw in a salad like this. You don’t need a lot of oil for this recipe, but it sure helps the pasta keep from sticking together and enhances the lovely flavor of avo, plus helps make the broccoli go down, ha ha. Feel free to use your favorite oil; extra-virgin olive oil is perfect for this recipe, too. Freshly squeezed lemon juice plus the zest just adds brightness and also helps keep the broccoli nice and green.
Lentil pasta is really unique because it ends up being a high-protein meal that is 100% plant-based. The texture is almost identical to wheat pasta and is superior to other gluten-free pastas I’ve tried. I have varying tolerance to legumes, but my stomach does surprisingly well with lentils, and recent food sensitivity testing showed no immune reaction to lentils. Woot! My fav lentil pasta brand of all that I’ve tried is from a company called Tolerant.
Here’s the printable recipe for this Lentil Pasta Salad with Broccoli:Print
- 1 package (about 12 ounces) lentil pasta
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, about 4 cups, steamed and set aside
- 1/2 cup raw or lightly steamed green peas (optional, for topping)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse and pour into a large mixing bowl. Toss with avocado oil to prevent sticking.
- Add the cubed avocado, lemon zest, lemon juice, and steamed broccoli florets, and stir well to combine. Pour the green peas on top for extra color (optional).
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
To steam the broccoli florets, simply place them in a glass bowl with a tablespoon of water. Cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes in the top. Microwave for 2 minutes. Or, steam on the stovetop using a steamer basket for 3 minutes.
I hope you’re having a great summer and staying cool. It’s been a hot one so far, even here in California where we generally have mild summers at the beach.
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!