Erica Winn was my guest on episode #25 of the Clean Eating for Women podcast. Erica offers all kinds of healthy tips and tricks for meal prep, especially around paleo and Whole30 diets.
For this new episode on Clean Eating for Women, you can listen here or using your favorite podcast app (or click here if you don’t see the player below):
In this episode of the Clean Eating for Women podcast, we talk about:
- Erica’s health story and starting her blog, Real Simple Good
- Eating paleo and cooking at home with real ingredients
- Meal prepping to make healthy eating easier
Some highlights of this episode on Paleo & Whole30 Meal Prepping:
- Erica and her husband started Real Simple Good a couple of years ago. It stemmed from making lifestyle changes and Erica being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. It was time to take her health story into her own hands. She began researching diets and lifestyles that reduce inflammation. Which led her to the paleo lifestyle. [02:25]
- Erica’s recipes are mostly paleo. She doesn’t use any processed foods. They don’t use grains, gluten, dairy, or soy. They also leave out the legumes and refined sugar. This is the template that all of the recipes stem from. They may have an occasional white rice or pastured cheese. [09:29]
- Erica and Justin wanted to live on their own terms. They decided to make paleo cooking and living a lifestyle. They also decided to make the blog a full-time job. [13:02]
- Before they quit their accountant jobs they were really stressed for time, so they started meal planning out of a necessity. There is no way to get through a busy work week without doing some sort of meal prep over the weekend. [14:06]
- Erica and Justin sell meal plans to help people who aren’t sure what recipes to make and what to shop for. These are for people who really like to cook and just need a little extra help. They also offer simple recipes with minimal ingredients for people who don’t like to cook but need help with eating healthier. [17:50]
- They currently offer seasonal meal plans that are bundled together. There is 13 weeks in each bundle. They are also doing challenges like the Whole30 challenge. People sign up for the challenge on their website. Then everything was delivered through email which included helpful tips and meal plans. They also posted on their Facebook group. They were also available to answer questions. [22:23]
- A Whole30 diet is like a Paleo diet but stricter. There’s no Paleo baking and no sugars and alcohol of any kind. [25:11]
- One of Erica’s favorite recipes and also one of their most popular recipes is the crock pot chicken enchiladas. Another popular recipe is their creamy spaghetti squash casserole. [27:35]
- An InstantPot is like a pressure cooker with pre programmed functions. The pressure cooker cooks faster and the instapot has more functions. You can brown ground beef and then cook it and make a one pot meal. [31:58]
Relevant links for this Meal Prepping episode:
- Real Simple Good
- Terry Wahls
- Minding your mitochondria | Dr. Terry Wahls | TEDxIowaCity
- Paleo Enchilada Casserole With Cornbread Topping (gf + Dairy-free)
- Creamy Garlic Spaghetti Squash Casserole (paleo, Whole30, Gf + Dairy-free)
- 6-quart Instant Pot
- Join Carrie’s Clean Eating Challenge!
Show sponsor (affiliate link included):
- Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour (use code CLEANEATING for 10% discount + free shipping over $35 during checkout)
Join the Clean Eating for Women Community!
- Clean Eating for Women episode index
- Clean Eating for Women Podcast private Facebook Group (great for asking questions and connecting with me personally)
Don’t miss new blog posts! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise.