This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
You’ve never had hummus like this before! This Chocolate Sweet Dessert Hummus is vegan, refined sugar-free, and is a unique twist on a classic dip.
Good morning! I hope you had a nice weekend. Since I’m in the final stages of writing my master’s of public health thesis and working very hard, I wouldn’t say that my weekend was nice, but it happened, I got a lot of work done, and I am almost finished. 🙂
Even though I try my darndest not to eat for emotional reasons, sugar has always been my go-to during times of stress. You might also like my article about how I overcame sugar addiction. I will say that my choices in recent years have been a lot better (i.e. no more plowing through pounds of candy), but the lure of something sweet will probably always stay with me.
As part of my efforts to make healthier choices, I am so excited to share this recipe with you for dessert hummus.
It must have been at least a year ago when somebody mentioned the concept of a sweet hummus to me and it totally blew my mind, but it’s really not all that different from making black bean brownies (get my recipe here). Let’s reminisce about those with a photo, shall we?
This new recipe for Dessert Hummus is so much easier to make than the brownies, though, it literally just takes minutes to combine the ingredients in a food processor. If you were really desperate, you could even mix the ingredients in a bowl and use a fork to mash it together (you would need to substitute date sugar for the whole dates, though).
For this recipe, I used cannellini beans, dates, water, almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, unsweetened non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon. Here’s what the picture of what it looks like when it’s ready to be blended in the food processor (admittedly, not that pretty):
The results are, however, in my opinion, spectacular. I served my dessert hummus with sliced apples:
Here is the recipe for this healthy and vegan Sweet Dessert Hummus:Print
You’ve never had hummus like this before! This Chocolate Dessert Hummus is gluten-free, dairy-free, and a unique twist on a classic dip.
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups canned cannellini, adzuki beans, or chickpeas
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon carob or cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
- Combine dates and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the dates have softened and started to break apart. Remove from heat.
- If your dates are very soft, then you may not need to boil them. In this case, you can simply soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes before adding them to the food processor.
- Combine beans, almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon in a food processor. Add cooked of softened dates and water. Process ingredients until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides. Serve at warm temperature or chilled.
If you love the flavor of mint, feel free to add a few fresh mint leaves to the food processor, or a few drops of peppermint extract. This will create a chocolate mint flavor to the dessert hummus.
I noted in the recipe that you can substitute adzuki beans for the cannellini beans or garbanzo beans. Adzuki beans are known to be easier to digest than many other types of beans, so I would suggest making this substitution if you are going to serve this dish to kids or people who don’t normally eat a lot of beans. You could also use 1/4 cup of almond butter and 1/4 cup of peanut butter for a really yummy variation (trust me, I tried it).
Be sure to pin this Healthy Sweet Dessert Hummus recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!