You’ve never had hummus like this before! This Chocolate Dessert Hummus is gluten-free, dairy-free, and a unique twist on a classic dip.
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups canned cannellini, adzuki beans, or chickpeas
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon carob or cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
- Combine dates and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the dates have softened and started to break apart. Remove from heat.
- If your dates are very soft, then you may not need to boil them. In this case, you can simply soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes before adding them to the food processor.
- Combine beans, almond butter, carob powder, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk, maca powder, and cinnamon in a food processor. Add cooked of softened dates and water. Process ingredients until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down the sides. Serve at warm temperature or chilled.
If you love the flavor of mint, feel free to add a few fresh mint leaves to the food processor, or a few drops of peppermint extract. This will create a chocolate mint flavor to the dessert hummus.