I’m sharing an easy chili recipe today that is made in the crockpot. This meal is gluten-free and paleo because I made it bean-free for those of us who are sensitive to legumes. This is a hearty and delicious recipe full of vegetables, texture, and flavor!
I’ve been playing around with batch cooking lately, where I essentially make 2-3 dishes on the same day, and then freeze or pre-portion them out for the future. This Sweet Potato Hamburger Chili is one of the recipes I used for that experiment, so I ended up doubling it to make about 8 servings total. I’m glad I did, because I really loved how it turned out.
The ingredients are really simple, too, including sweet potatoes, onions, bell pepper, celery, tomato sauce, grass-fed ground beef, and spices. A sprinkle of freshly-chopped green onion adds freshness when serving.
I can’t say that this is a one-pot meal because I cooked the vegetables in the crockpot, and then cooked the ground beef on the stovetop right before serving. But, it really is an easy recipe to prepare, with minimal clean-up.
We’re pretty quickly moving away from really cold weather now that spring is upon us, but I always prefer a hot meal for dinner, even when it’s warmer outside. To re-heat the leftovers, I would suggest transferring to the stovetop, or you can even use the microwave.
Items recommended for this recipe (some affiliate links included):
- Medium-sized crockpot, I used a 3-quart version (around $20 on Amazon)
- Vegetable “Y” peeler
- Organic oregano, non-irradiated
This chili recipe is made legume-free, but with the delicious and hearty ingredients of sweet potato, vegetables, and ground beef. Make a double batch to enjoy the rest of the cold weather season.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 head of celery, ribs removed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup tomato sauce, your favorite brand
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (for topping)
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, and celery into the base of a medium-sized crockpot.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the vegetables, along with the oregano and salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours. The vegetables should be soft and the sweet potatoes should be cooked through.
- Just before serving, you’ll need to cook the meat to add to the vegetables. Heat a large non-stick skillet on the stovetop. Add the ground meat and use a spatula to break it up. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
- Then, carefully add the meat to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Serve the chili with about a tablespoon of chopped green onions per person.
- Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers and re-heat on the stovetop.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 250
Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox. This saves you time so you don’t have to keep checking my site for new posts.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!
Pin this recipe for later: