This chili recipe is made legume-free, but with the delicious and hearty ingredients of sweet potato, vegetables, and ground beef. Make a double batch to enjoy the rest of the cold weather season.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 head of celery, ribs removed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup tomato sauce, your favorite brand
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (for topping)
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, and celery into the base of a medium-sized crockpot.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the vegetables, along with the oregano and salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours. The vegetables should be soft and the sweet potatoes should be cooked through.
- Just before serving, you’ll need to cook the meat to add to the vegetables. Heat a large non-stick skillet on the stovetop. Add the ground meat and use a spatula to break it up. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
- Then, carefully add the meat to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Serve the chili with about a tablespoon of chopped green onions per person.
- Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers and re-heat on the stovetop.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 250