Fitness is a huge part of wellness. I’m thrilled to talk with Anna and Elisha, the creators of the fantastic online community Flex it Pink, about using community to inspire women to get fit.
For this new episode on Clean Eating for Women, you can listen here or using your favorite podcast app (or click here if you don’t see the player below):
In this episode of the Clean Eating for Women podcast, we talk about:
- It’s okay to take time for yourself and take care of your body
- Making a difference for your family starts with you
- The importance of reinforcement through community
Some highlights of this episode:
- Elisha is a mother who grew up overweight. When she hit 225 pounds, she knew it was time to make a change. She wanted her kids to follow a healthy path. She started working out and eating right and lost 82 pounds. [01:15]
- Anna & Elisha were childhood friends and their Facebook page blew up when they started talking about fitness and support. This is what inspired them to start Flex it Pink. Their Flex it Pink page has about 95,000 followers and their Instagram has about 40,000. [03:29]
- Anna is also a mom who loves fitness classes and empowering women. She never struggled with weight until after she had kids. One day she realized she was unhappy with her weight and fitness level, she signed up for the gym and hasn’t looked back. Her message for other moms is that it is OK to put yourself first. [04:32]
- Flex it Pink encourages women by supporting them. Women need to know that it is OK to take time for yourself and workout. Even if it means getting up at 4:00 AM. It also sets a good example for the family and their children. [05:56]
- Flex it Pink empowers and supports women to live a healthy and active lifestyle by cheering them on. They also have virtual 5K runs where participants earn their medal at their own pace. It’s a comfortable way to complete that 3 miles. Many go on to half marathons. [09:39]
- They also partner with charities and the virtual runs are themed around that charities purpose. They have custom medals, shirts and race bibs. Participants register online. Then everyone runs on a certain week. They encourage all types of movement. After completing the 3 or 6 miles they send in a photo. There is extra support on the Facebook group. [12:26]
- Challenges and setbacks that women encounter include roller coaster weight gain. Don’t pay attention to the scale. Weight will fluctuate. Log what you eat, and you will understand why your weight is going up. Make changes based on how you are feeling. Be patient and keep making positive changes. Don’t give up. Take measurements and pictures monthly. You will be surprised by the results. [16:46]
- How exercising can be life changing and put you in a good mood. It just makes your life better. Starting a fitness journey can be easy once you fall in love with exercise, but dieting or eating for weight loss can always be a struggle. Cutting calories does not equal health. Have higher calories, but workout. [23:10]
- How women have a fear of food. Eating disorders and not eating enough. Don’t be afraid to eat. The old diet culture of the 90’s, and how there are so many barriers that we have to overcome. [27:20]
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Flex it Pink
- Flex it Pink on Facebook
- 6 Week Stronger You Challenge Group 1
- Flex it Pink on Instagram
- Get my Clean Eating 101 freebie e-book by leaving a review of the Clean Eating for Women podcast on Apple Podcasts. Email Carrie@CleanEatingKitchen.com with your review name to get this free resource!
Join the Clean Eating for Women Community!
- Clean Eating for Women episode index
- Clean Eating for Women Podcast private Facebook Group (great for asking questions and connecting with me personally)
Don’t miss new blog posts! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise.