I’ve been trying to make a really good tofu burger for awhile now. The trick is to buy a block of super firm tofu and freeze and de-frost it before using it. I know it sounds weird, but this extra step changes the texture of the tofu and makes it ideal for a burger.
So, you start with a one-pound block of extra or super-firm tofu from the refrigerator section of your grocery store. You don’t even need to take it out of its package, just stick it in the freezer for at least 12 hours or until it’s frozen solid. Then, put it in your fridge and let it de-frost for another 24 hours or until completely defrosted.
Next, you want to remove the packaging from the tofu and place it in a food processor. You then just add the other ingredients including nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds, cashews, curry powder, onion and tamari and process for a minute or so. This is what the mixture looks like:
It’s not super pretty, but it makes a mean burger, you just wait. You will then use your hands to make the “dough” into four patties. Last, just bake these babies at 375 degrees for 40 minutes total (flipping once) and you’re good to go. I served mine on top of some fresh romaine and with some Pesto Hemp Dressing, plus some lightly baked onions:
Here’s the recipe:Print
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ onion
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon no-salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- Pesto Hemp Dressing, optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F and lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Chop onion and place in a food processor.
- Remove tofu from package and add to onion. (See tip on freezing and defrosting tofu).
- Add flax meal, yeast, sunflower seeds, cashews, curry powder, no-salt seasoning, and tamari. Process until combined.
- Using your hands, form four patties and lay on baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping once during cooking. Serve on a bed of lettuce with Pesto Hemp Dressing, if desired.
P.S. I also have a Carrie on Living Amazon affiliate store where I list all of my favorite beauty items, kitchen devices, books, and other cool stuff that supports my lifestyle. Your purchase of any item on Amazon helps support my blog so thank you in advance.