You’re going to love this delicious Gluten-Free Apple Pie that is perfect for holidays and special occasions. It’s a classic American dessert that everyone loves.
- For the crust:
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free flour, plus about ¼ extra for rolling out the crust*
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup butter (use vegan butter for dairy allergies)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- For the filling:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 5 green apples, sliced thinly
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Make the crust: In the base of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade or a dough blade, combine 1 ¾ cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar, sea salt, and butter. Process for 30-45 seconds, or until the dough starts to form.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and process each one until it gets combined into the dough.
- Lastly, add the water, and process for about 15 more seconds.
- Turn off the food processor and use your hands or a spatula to remove the dough. Form the dough into two even balls and place them side by side in a large bowl. Set the bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill. This will make the dough much easier to work with.
- Make the filling: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a glass pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, ½ cup coconut sugar, and arrowroot starch. Toss to combine.
- Roll out the crust: when you’re ready to assemble the pie, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on a cutting board or flat surface, and lay one of the balls of dough on top. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it fits into your pie dish. Presss the dough evenly into the dish.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie dish. Then, roll out the other ball of dough. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into long strips. Lay the strips on top of the apple mixture into a lattice pattern.
- Brush the egg white on top of the lattice work, and then sprinkle the teaspoon of white sugar on top.
- Bake the pie for 55 minutes, or until the top of the pie is golden brown, and the apple mixture is bubbling.
- Serve warm.
You can make the crust up to several days in advance. Just store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the pie.
*Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 flour is my favorite.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: clean apple pie, apple pie with no gluten