This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
This Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is made dairy-free with cashew cream. It’s a delicious and satisfying way to enjoy the flavors of fall.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables of all time, probably because of its sweet, warming flavor. I always get so excited when I see them appear at the farmers’ market:
I chose two medium sized squash to make into a dairy-free, creamy soup:
After a lot of peeling and dicing, I ended up with a big bowl of squash (to save time and possibly a finger, simply buy your squash pre-chopped):
I used these ingredients for the soup base:
To cook the soup, I water-sauteed the onions, garlic and mushrooms for a few minutes:
Added the beans, squash and spices and covered with water:
I simmered the whole thing on medium heat for about 20 minutes and then made a non-dairy cream sauce by blending some cashews and almond milk. I used a hand-immersion blender to blend the chunks and then stirred in the cream to get this:
I was so happy with how this soup turned out. The pumpkin pie spice blend enhances the sweetness of the squash and the texture is divine. The beans and mushrooms add thickness and enough nutrition to make this soup a meal in itself. Or, should I say, several meals; it makes a lot! I froze some of the leftovers and plan to re-serve them when the weather turns cold(er).Print
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup made dairy-free
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 8 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups of water or enough to cover squash
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- For cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1– 1/2 cups of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- In a large pot, heat up a few tablespoons of water.
- Add onions and stir until softened.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add spices, butternut squash and beans with enough water to cover.
- Bring soup to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for 20 minutes. In the meantime, make cream sauce by blending cashews and non-dairy milk.
- Once soup is finished cooking, use a hand immersion blender to make an even texture and stir in cream sauce.
Pin this Vegan & Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup to save it for later!