Creamy Butternut Squash Soup made dairy-free
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 8 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups of water or enough to cover squash
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- For cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1– 1/2 cups of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- In a large pot, heat up a few tablespoons of water.
- Add onions and stir until softened.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add spices, butternut squash and beans with enough water to cover.
- Bring soup to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for 20 minutes. In the meantime, make cream sauce by blending cashews and non-dairy milk.
- Once soup is finished cooking, use a hand immersion blender to make an even texture and stir in cream sauce.