- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Daiya dairy-free cheddar cheese (optional, for topping)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, add the potatoes, broccoli, broth, salt and pepper to the pot. Turn the heat to high, stir, and let the soup come up to a gentle boil.
- Turn the heat to low, put a lid on the pot, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Turn off the heat on the stovetop. Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender to blend. Always use extreme caution when blending hot liquids!
- Serve the soup with a generous helping of Daiya cheese on top, if desired.
- You can double this recipe depending on how many servings you want.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat before serving.
- You can use red potatoes or Russet potatoes instead of Yukon gold, if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: vegetarian broccoli potato soup, vegan broccoli potato cheese soup, healthy broccoli potato soup