This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
This Vegan Peanut Butter Coleslaw Dressing is super simple, but full of creamy flavor.
I picked up just a few provisions for the kitchen to hold me over until I can get to a farmers’ market, but the pickings were slim when I got around to making dinner. I pretty much only had these two fresh items to choose from:
I was inspired by the salad I had at Real Food Daily in Pasadena which was shredded cabbage and lettuces topped with a peanut-butter based sauce, peanuts and chopped cilantro. Unfortunately, I hadn’t thought that far enough ahead to get any of the other ingredients, but it was inspiration, nonetheless.
I put the whole head of cabbage through my food processor to shred it:
Then, I got around to making the peanut butter sauce…the star of the salad. I simply stirred together peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, golden balsamic vinegar, unsweetened soy milk and a touch of maple syrup. This is what the dressing looks like:
I hardly ever use maple syrup in my cooking anymore, but in this case it was ideal. If I were to make this dressing in a high-speed blender, I would use dates to sweeten it. But, time was of the essence after a long day on the road.
I then just poured the dressing over the entire bowl of shredded cabbage and stirred it together. I also rinsed and drained a can of cannellini beans to help make the salad a meal:
And, boy oh boy, this was a meal and a delicious one at that! I topped the salad and beans with some freshly sliced red onion and I was happy. Maybe it was the sugar from the maple syrup, but I could have easily eaten a second serving of this salad:
I saved the leftovers for dinner tonight and instead had some more grapes for dessert. I’m looking forward to making this salad again, but doing a “fancier” version including other shredded lettuces plus the cilantro and making the dressing in the Vitamix with the dates.
Here’s the version of the dressing I used last night:Print
This Vegan Peanut Butter Coleslaw Dressing is super simple, but full of creamy flavor. Make it with only five ingredients.
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or use brown rice vinegar for no salt/sugar)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or your choice of liquid sweetener (you could also use freshly squeeze orange juice if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup golden balsamic vinegar (I use Spectrum brand; you can substitute your favorite type of vinegar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk, or your choice of non-dairy milk
- Let peanut butter sit at room temperature for at least 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the other ingredients and pour over a head of shredded cabbage or your choice of salad greens.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 150
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!