This Vegan Peanut Butter Coleslaw Dressing is super simple, but full of creamy flavor.
I picked up just a few provisions for the kitchen to hold me over until I can get to a farmers’ market, but the pickings were slim when I got around to making dinner. I pretty much only had these two fresh items to choose from:
I was inspired by the salad I had at Real Food Daily in Pasadena which was shredded cabbage and lettuces topped with a peanut-butter based sauce, peanuts and chopped cilantro. Unfortunately, I hadn’t thought that far enough ahead to get any of the other ingredients, but it was inspiration, nonetheless.
I put the whole head of cabbage through my food processor to shred it:
Then, I got around to making the peanut butter sauce…the star of the salad. I simply stirred together peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, golden balsamic vinegar, unsweetened soy milk and a touch of maple syrup. This is what the dressing looks like:
I hardly ever use maple syrup in my cooking anymore, but in this case it was ideal. If I were to make this dressing in a high-speed blender, I would use dates to sweeten it. But, time was of the essence after a long day on the road.
I then just poured the dressing over the entire bowl of shredded cabbage and stirred it together. I also rinsed and drained a can of cannellini beans to help make the salad a meal:
And, boy oh boy, this was a meal and a delicious one at that! I topped the salad and beans with some freshly sliced red onion and I was happy. Maybe it was the sugar from the maple syrup, but I could have easily eaten a second serving of this salad:
I saved the leftovers for dinner tonight and instead had some more grapes for dessert. I’m looking forward to making this salad again, but doing a “fancier” version including other shredded lettuces plus the cilantro and making the dressing in the Vitamix with the dates.
Here’s the version of the dressing I used last night:Print
This Vegan Peanut Butter Coleslaw Dressing is super simple, but full of creamy flavor. Make it with only five ingredients.
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or use brown rice vinegar for no salt/sugar)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or your choice of liquid sweetener (you could also use freshly squeeze orange juice if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup golden balsamic vinegar (I use Spectrum brand; you can substitute your favorite type of vinegar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk, or your choice of non-dairy milk
- Let peanut butter sit at room temperature for at least 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the other ingredients and pour over a head of shredded cabbage or your choice of salad greens.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 150
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!