Vegan Molasses Cookies
These Vegan & Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies are a delicious way to celebrate the holidays.
- Author: Carrie Forrest, MPH in Nutrition
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 11 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Gluten free, vegan
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Make the chia egg by combining the chia seeds and water in a small glass bowl. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Next, combine the gluten-free flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chia egg, coconut oil, molasses, vanilla extract, and orange extract. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Use your hands to form the dough into about 1-inch round balls. Flatten each one slightly as you lay it on the baking sheet. You’ll have enough dough for about 20-22 cookies.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies start to brown. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
You can freeze the baked cookies for up to 2 months in an air-tight container.
Keywords: vegan holiday cookies, healthy holiday cookies, vegan and gluten-free dessert