A vegan and gluten-free macaroni squash recipe that is perfect for kids and adults
- 1 16-oz box cooked whole wheat macaroni (I used gluten-free pasta)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash, mashed
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place cooked macaroni in a large baking dish and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic with 2 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add squash and cook until just heated through. Add to macaroni and mix well.
- Process cashews, milk, water, nutritional yeast, and miso in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour over macaroni mixture and mix well. Season with salt. Then cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Tip: Butternut squash can be purchased both in the frozen food section and in the produce section
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, gluten-free
Keywords: macaroni squash, vegan macaroni, china study cookbook