I’m so excited to share this healthy, vegan twist on comfort food using spiralized zucchini and a creamy cashew-based cheese sauce.
This healthy vegan macaroni and cheese recipe comes from an awesome new cookbook called Quick & Easy Spiralizer Cookbook: 100 Vegetable Noodle Recipes You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less.
I’m in love with this cookbook because every dish can be made in 30 minutes or less, and is clearly marked for specialty diets including vegan, vegetarian, paleo, or keto. The book is written by Megan Flynn Peterson and she does a great job with using accessible ingredients and explaining how to make the dishes.
For example, you’ll see in the recipe below that the cashew cheese sauce for this vegan Mac & Cheese has only six ingredients, including cashews, almond milk, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder. I am so impressed with the creativity of the recipes in this cookbook; you are going to want one for yourself!!!
Every recipe in this book is made using some sort of spiralized vegetable, whether it be zucchini, cucumber, sweet potato, melon(!), carrot, summer squash, or butternut squash. Who knew that so many foods could be spiralized?!?
Spiralized Vegetables Are Healthy & Great for Kids
Honestly, spiralizing vegetables is one of my favorite suggestions to get more vegetables into your diet because vegetable noodles are just so dang fun to make and eat (see all my tips for making vegetables taste delicious here)!
Veggie noodles are perfect for picky-eaters or kids because the texture is so reminiscent of spaghetti. And, spiralized vegetables make such a great base for so many different recipes that are perfect for people who want an option to regular grain-based noodles. This is the spiralizer that I use.
Some of the other recipes in the book that I have bookmarked to make include:
- Spiralized Potato Crust Pizza (p.77)
- Carrot Noodle Ramen (p.33)
- Zucchini Noodle Oatmeal (p.13)
- Cold Peanut Noodles (p.63)
- Spiralized Quick Pickles (p.50)
Items recommended for this Spiralized Vegan Mac & Cheese recipe:
- Quick & Easy Spiralizer Cookbook (pre-order now; goes on sale 3/27/18)
- Spiralizer with suction cups for easy use
- Food processor (I have this one and adore it)
- Organic bulk cashews
- Unfortified nutritional yeast
Here’s this Vegan Mac & Cheese recipe:Print
A healthy, vegan twist on the world’s best comfort food.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the cashews into a powder – stop before they become cashew butter. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cashew powder with the almond milk and olive oil, stirring for 8 to 10 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- A few minutes before serving, add the zucchini noodles. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
For an even thicker vegan mac and cheese, use potato noodles instead of zucchini.
Recipe printed with permission from Callisto Media.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 655
- Sodium: 295
- Fat: 45
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Fiber: 14
- Protein: 30
Pin this Vegan Macaroni and Cheese recipe to save it for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!